Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Good Riddance Twitter Share Count


Content Marketers!

Take some time out of your day to pour a 40oz out for Twitter's share count. You've probably heard about it by now, or noticed it, but if you're pissed off or sad about it? It's time to turn that frown upside down.

Not only because you can get it back, if you want...http://opensharecount.com/

But a new day has dawned where the phonies are going to realize that they've been measuring the wrong thing all along.

Share count doesn't matter.

And I'll be honest it pains me to say it, because it was so pretty having all of those high numbers next to my tweet buttons...

But the internet has spoken, and the reality is this:

The only thing that actually matters is referral traffic from social.

Read this amazing blog post that explains everything and then think about it for a while, come back, and continue reading my post as I describe my personal expereince with share counts that turned me away from the darkness and delivered me to the light:

Forget your Twitter share count. Social referral traffic is more important.

Okay, done with that post? 

Here's my story: 

All you have to do is scroll down a few posts on the homepage of this blog and you'll see a post titled 

Now this post got picked up by buffer and was shared 40 times (linked to twitter search). How do I know it was all from buffer? Because they changed the title to "Understanding content strategy"and everyone that tweeted it had a buffer link. But none of them read the post! Maybe a few...but there isn't one comment on the post or one new email subscriber. It has more pageviews that normal that's for sure, but in terms of real engagement? Or accomplishing my goal of driving email subscribers...nada...

So think twice about what you measure and why it's important. Refer back to the article above about referral traffic for some real tips. 

No comments:

Post a Comment