Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Wake up early



My sister and I are only 17 months apart, but we only went to the same school for ~3 years. Kindergarten, 1st grade, and my 7th grade year, her 8th grade. I went to boarding school to play hockey in high school, she went to a different elementary school because she tested into a "highly capable" program. So our paths only crossed in middle school. That was one hell of a year.

But that doesn't mean we don't have a lot of the same friends from the Shoreline area. And if they were our friend, then they definitely know our Mother. Joyce has had a way of leaving a lasting impression on everyone she meets. She's a brilliant MD and an even better company.

And of course she's provided us with little gems like the The 25 Commandments of Safe Partying.

I was reminded recently of another saying that seemed to resonate with some of my sister and I's friends even years later:

"Most of life's problem can be avoided by staying sober and waking up early."

Stay sober, check. Wake up early....errrrrrr...fine.

Here's to a winter in the Pacific Northwest filled with morning workouts in the dark. I'm trying to get mentally prepared as quickly as possible. Who's on the 6am train with me?

I think another huge issue in our society is that we praise people for getting a lack of sleep. As though it somehow proves our dedication to our work.

How about showing some dedication to yourself? Some dedication to bringing your best self to the office everyday. Giving your team 100% of what you have to offer. You can't do that 3 hours.

That doesn't mean there won't be sleepless nights. There will be, and there should be. But they should be few and far between.

If you feel scattered, you aren't doing it right.

Slow down. Take your time.

Get some sleep.

Goodnight.


No comments:

Post a Comment