Saturday, May 5, 2012

Cycling



I've been doing a lot of cycling lately, mostly because I don't have a car. But it's led me to an astonishing discovery and metaphor for life. I don't know if you cycle, but it might be something to take into consideration the next time you hop on a bike.

Cycling is probably the best physical representation for the mental process of accomplishing your goals in life. You must constantly be focused on the road ahead of you (long term goals), while at the same time focused on the ground directly beneath your wheels (short term goals, tactics, repetition), and at the same time, making sure you don't run over a nail that pops your tires (stress, failure). I ride my bike home the same way from work everyday, but I never know when there might be a branch on the path. You have to be open to the idea that sometimes, You're going to have to go a different way if you want to make it home (accomplish your goal). At the same time, there are always distractions happening all around you competing for your attention; look away for a second, and you might crash. No seriously, I crashed yesterday.

No comments:

Post a Comment